Friday, April 20, 2007

Bible Study: Introduction

"The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion." Prov. 28:1



Hello ladies!

I felt led by the Lord to get back to writing Bible studies again now that I am finally finished with school. I graduated with my Masters of Education this year.

I left the blogging field last summer when I was able to post a few entries at my political blog: AmericanArtist.blogspot.com.

But back in 2000-2002 I was able to lead an internet Bible study on I John for women who were shut-in and could not attend church. It was such a blessing and I met so many wonderful women online that I wanted to get back into as soon as I could.

Well, 5 years later......here I am!

I prayed about this and felt the Lord was leading me to start with The Virtuous Woman found in Proverbs 31:10-31.

So, that is where this study will lead us! For those of you who do not know me, here is a short bio:

My Name is Ruth Douthitt. I am a 40 yr. old Christian wife to Scott for almost 19 years and a mother to a 12 year old son. We live in Phoenix, AZ. I have been a Christian since I was 7 yrs. old, but felt led to re-dedicate my life to Christ when I was 16. I walked away from the Lord at age 18 and fell from grace, but the Lord brought me back to Himself 3 years later and restored what the locusts had eaten. My husband (then boyfriend) and I got engaged and began a new life in Christ.

After we were married in 1988, we lived briefly in Havelock, NC where my husband was stationed in the USMC. We loved it there, but when my husband returned home in 1991 after being overseas for 11months, he decided enough was enough and got out. That led us back home to Phoenix, AZ where all our family lives.

I work part time as an art instructor at Glendale Community College and also as a substitute teacher at my son's school. I enjoy working part time so I can be with my son when he gets home. I left a very good job as a Superior Court bailiff back in 2000 when my son started kindergarten and I have never regretted being home with him. It has been a blessing. I will share more about me in this regard later in our lesson.

I decided back in 2002 to return to school to finish my undergraduate degree at ASU West. Boy, was that a decision made in naivete. Soon after, we moved from a house into an apartment (more on this later on too....) and then into another house and well, what an adventure it has been. As an art major, I was able to really paint and draw and enter shows where I sold my work and won awards all thanks to the Lord. It was a fun time.

After graduating in 2005, I then decided to keep going and finish my graduate degree. After all this, here I am ready to begin this new adventure....serving the Lord!

That's me in a nutshell!

Many people fear the internet and see it only as a tool for evil. Well, it can be as we have all seen. But it can also be a wonderful tool to share God's Word and the Gospel message. Here on this blog, we (you and I) will go through many Biblical passages and learn more about the Lord whom we serve until He calls us home (soon, I hope!).

So, welcome to this blog and welcome to this study!

Format:

The format for this study will be as follows.....

Each day I will post a lesson. Each lesson will contain Bible passages and commentary on the main verses as well as life applications for you to take with you.

This blog allows for comments to be posted for a discussion session. Please feel free to post any comments to each lesson as you wish.

This format is fun and easy to follow. I pray you will be blessed by it as you learn more about God's Word. Please feel free to tell others about this blog so they can join us!

One word of warning:

This blog is out there in "cyberspace" so once in awhile a stranger will come upon our lesson. Sometimes these strangers are atheists who want to ruin our study by posting to the comments some hateful things. If this happens.....please do not respond. Just let it go. I will respond as leader of this blog, but I will not argue or get into senseless contentions. Just so you know. This has happened before and I am sure it will happen again.

If you know non-believers who you feel may want to join us, that is great, but this study is a Bible study and discussion. I wouldn't want anyone to feel intimidated. You may have to disciple your guest while she participates in this study. What a joy that would be!!

Finally, please post a comment introducing yourself to the group when you read this introduction. Tell us a little bit about yourself!

Now...........let's be bold like lions! Let's get ready to study the Lord's Word!!

Blessings,
Ruth

No comments: