Monday, January 14, 2008

Running the Good Race

Monday-

Well, WE DID IT!!! We actually finished the marathon. Did we run the whole marathon? No....but that's ok. Because we completed our goal.

My time was 5hrs 59 minutes. I was so glad to see that I did come in under 6 hours. Whew! Ha Ha.

About the race.....

I felt strong up until mile 16. I hit "the wall" at that mile and was barely able to go on. I had nothing left to give. My toe, believe it or not, actually did really well. Unfortunately, the toe next to it had a blister that burst so I had a bloody sock which led to a bloody shoe. But the pain was tolerable. My other leg was sore at the ankle and the bottom of the foot felt like I was landing on broken glass!

I did the walk/run thing until mile 21 when I decided that the only way I was going to run across that finish line was if I walked until mile 25. Which I did. And I wasn't alone. There must have been about 200 other people walking too. So, I didn't feel so bad! Walking those last 4 miles really helped because I was able to run the last mile and I felt stronger too.

Scott, well, he had it alot harder. He pooped out at mile 6 and walked from mile 19 all the way to mile 25. But he ran across the finish line at 6hr 34 min.

So, we can say that we did the PF Chang's Marathon now. I tell you, I was praying so hard after mile 16 because I knew it would be the Lord getting me to that finish line. I had nothing left to give at that point. It is all because of God that we made it!

Today, well we are limping along. No more running for me for at least 2 weeks of healing.
It is neat to go back and read my journal here to see how my training was. I honestly think that if I hadn't broken my toe back in November, I would have been able to run at least until mile 21 because I could tell my ankles and feet were not ready. Everything else on my body felt strong and my cardio was more than fine. But because I wasn't able to do anymore long runs after Nov. 17th, my poor feet and ankles were just dying. But my running days are not completely over.....

I will probably begin training for the New Times 10k for the Fall and then the 1/2 marathon next January.

So, this running journal continues......

Lord willing!

No comments: